Monday, October 25, 2010

Shop and Drop Project

Before:


After:
In store:

Pop Tarts – “Made for Fun!”

The process for my piece was relatively simple – I cut out slogans about the health benefits of various food products and arranged them on the Pop Tarts box to create somewhat comical arrangements of words such as, “Made with real naturally & artificially flavored toaster pastries.” I also crossed out all the mentions of artificial modifications to the food or other health detrimental information.

My thoughts behind this piece started with a simple trip to the store for some snacks. I was looking at various cereals, chips, and sweets and many of them claimed to have some sort of health benefit. I found it funny that foods such as Cookie Crisp cereal and Pop Tarts claimed to be good for you despite their very high sugar content. The truths of their less than healthy, beneficial ingredients are masked by huge, bright letters singing the praises of what few whole grains, fibers, vitamins, and minerals the food does contain. My piece, a modified Pop Tarts box, is meant to poke fun at this truth of advertising. I hope to bring to light the selective truths put forth by advertisers and increase awareness in people about the truths behind the “All natural” and “Now with more whole grain!”

No comments:

Post a Comment