Monday, October 25, 2010

Shop-Drop Project

When thinking of ideas for this project I was leaning towards the concept of just altering something so that it would be subliminal and the person purchasing it wouldn't notice it until they have bought it. I have gone with the opposite of my original idea/aim for the project, because I realized that if I were to purchase something and notice it has been tampered with (after opening it) I would be mad and return it.

Thus, I thought of an idea that would be blatantly obvious what the message was. I had searched some websites on suicide rates, homosexuality, and abortion. I typed up random quotes from these websites and printed them, hoping to find something in the store related to one of these topics. I ended up finding a pair of tiny little baby socks, so I went with the abortion idea. I know it seems cliche, but I thought it would get a blatant message across, that is almost brutally honest. I pinned a bunch of statistics from the website on abortion onto the baby socks directly (some of the quotes had highlighted phrases and sentences). I also folded up other stats and put them directly into the socks, so that if a store manager found them and took the quotes and pins off, the person who buys them in the future will still find quotes inside. This should not be offensive to them because it supports their decision to carry their baby to term (if they had to have that difficult decision).

I honestly do not have a standpoint on the issue, so the point of my project is simply to arise awareness of the facts, and to get people who are going through this difficult time to question their decision. In order to make it MORE controversial, I placed the baby socks back into the condoms section of Walmart.
- Before put in store.


-- In the condom section- Message seems obvious, yes?

No comments:

Post a Comment